Thursday, June 3, 2010

{Store Feature} Hutch Studio...



Through klt:works, I have met some wonderful people and learned about some pretty fantastic stores. I thought it would be fun to start writing features to introduce you to some of my discoveries. My first feature is particularly close to my heart. It is a place called, "hutch studio" that is located in a sweet little town by the water in La Conner, WA. This magical place was once the home of the Bunnies By the Bay store, a small company that my husband has worked for, for around 18 years. Krys Kirkpatrick, one of the founders of Bunnies By the Bay, had an idea to create a space that is a working studio that acts as a gallery and shop- where everything is made by hand (under the umbrella of Bunnies by the Bay). This space was dreamed up by Krys and presented to my husband, Chris, to make into a reality. This place is now called, hutch studio, and the space is truly magical and definitely worth a visit. Chris makes signature hutch studio items that never cease to amaze me. The first creations to catch your attention are the very cool whirly gigs in the front of the house/studio. Chris has been busy restoring old ones, and making new designs. He even held a whirly gig workshop. Recently, he used his stellar ceramics background to make a "mini spinny" out of clay. How amazing is that? It really spins!


I received one of the next hutch treasures for Mother's Day and boy was I tickled! They are called "Sweet Tweets" - and they are charming & sweet indeed! 


Chris makes the birdcages with wire, old lids, and newspaper or sheet music. He makes each bird with clay and individually glazes them. He also makes little clay bunnies called, "Rainy Day Bunnies" that hold little wire umbrellas. (These little ceramic & wire wonders are quickly snatched up and hard to keep in stock!)


My second blog post ever, was about the paper cutting technique called scherenschnitte that Chris has been experimenting with at hutch studio. He has been making beautiful window covering that he has packaged as a kit. Part of the hutch philosophy is to nurture creativity, so  kits and classes are natural things for them to offer. There is also an emphasis on making things with recycled materials and found objects/treasures. The newest item Chris made for hutch is, "My Vacation Home", night light using old family vacation slides and paint sample cards. This little vacation home is so unique - I can't wait to get one at our house. Chris plans on offering a "vacation home" workshop soon as well. 


All of these creations are just the tip of the iceberg of what you will find at hutch studio. Krys also makes things to fill the spaces, along with a rotating collection of artists. I have been lucky enough to be included as a participating artist at hutch. They carry my thread drawing items, including original thread drawings. I did a thread drawing demo once in their studio and so much fun, that I plan on doing more.  


So, if you are in the area, I highly recommend that you stop by for a visit. Chris (a guy that looks like that scratchboard self-portrait above) will show you around the lovingly decorated spaces. I guarantee you will leave with a renewed creative spirit! This is not that last you will hear from me about hutch studio. Stay tuned for a studio tour sometime this summer....

4 comments:

  1. I'm totally in awe!!!!

    wow!
    (hope to find more appropriate words later)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post and thanks for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice glimpse into the world that is Hutch! You guys are both so talented, I'm constantly amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the bunnies and umbrellas and of course the paper cutting technique called scherenschnitte, was in town last week on a Sunday and Hutch was closed...was bummed. Next time, thank you for sharing. Kristin

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails