Sunday, May 20, 2012

{Vintage Inspiration} Elephant Love...


Every once & awhile, I run into something at a thrift/antique shop that makes me goofy with excitement & Friday I had one of those moments. I stopped by an old favorite antique shop that I used to go to all of the time - it had been awhile & I was on the search for some vintage hooks for a project. After I passed an awesome coin operated elephant, something spotted & happy caught my eye. I had to dig through some stuff to get to it but I'm glad I did. I had a gut reaction to this thing. It was an elephant toy box from the '60's & it immediately conjured up memories of the Dumbo & Teacup rides at Disneyland. I have a thing for elephants so I was extra interested in this treasure. The man who owned the antique shop said his kid's both had this elephant as a toy box but they weren't interested in keeping it when they were adults. I probably stood in front of this thing for about 15minutes - hemming & hawing. 


After some bartering, I found myself trying to cram this thing into my 2 door VW. It was pretty funny driving home with it. I smiled the whole way. Once I got home, I gave it a good wash down in the back yard then took it up to my studio with me. I was so excited to see Sayer's reaction to it & hoped he was tickled with it as I was.  I wasn't exactly sure where it was going to go- I just knew it needed to be in our house.  As I worked, I kept glancing at it - completely giggling. I loved having that thing watching me sew. I actually think it may inspire some new designs.


Sayer responded exactly like I thought he was going to- after all, he is my son. After a loud laugh, he opened the lip & hopped on in to hide from Chris. Then we took the elephant to his room. 


He wanted me to read him his bedtime story while he was curled up in it. He didn't stay there all night, although he wanted to. Instead he tucked in some of his favorite plush buddies with a pillow & a flashlight. When we put the lid on, the whole thing lit up like a giant nightlight. It was really cool. We have been moving that elephant around all weekend- filling it up & emptying it over & over. Sayer introduced it to my Eames Elephant- he said they got married. They look like long lost friends. Sort of cool that they were both designed around the same time. I think they complete each other. 

So, how was your weekend?



8 comments:

  1. Hello again my friend... just popping in to say that I have a collection of about 60 elephants in our attic for lack of space... so not at all surprised that you have a thing for elephants! ;-) Who would have guessed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, how cute is this?? I LOVE that last image of Sayer cradled in his elephant. *Melt*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My twin sister and I ha the very same toy box when we were children, some of hor strongest memories are of playing in that toy box. We use to crawl inside and play just like your son. I can recall so vividly the smell of the plastic and how sunlight shone through the colored spots:) If you ever decide to give it up I would be very interested. luvofsoccer@yahoo.com .
    Kind regards - Billi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you do Tea!
      Billi, that is a wonderful story! Isn't nostalgia powerful! I had a really strong reaction to this toy box when I saw it. Of course, I will keep your email at hand. So far, we are pretty attached to it. :)
      Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  4. All your photos are so wonderful! So cool that you have captured so many great moments and memories that your son will undoubtably cherrish later on. Here is a photo of my sister and I in our toy box. Take care:) https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/578089_3496454134371_1456113390_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much @billi! I absolutely love taking photos of Sayer. He's now turning the tables on me. We just got him a camera. So, we will no doubt have TONS of moments captured. I love that photo of you & your sister! Thanks for sharing!!!

      Delete
  5. I have that same toy box. It belonged to my cousins when they were little (60's). My Aunt gave it to me because I am an elephant collector. Mine is filled with stuffed elephants. Would love to have an Eames Elephant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool sinja! I'm really fond of elephants too. Nice to know that there is another one out there. :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails