Tuesday, July 27, 2010

{Letterpress} The smile behind the print...


Letterpress is a form of printmaking that I absolutely adore. I respond to the tactile quality, the way it looks, the process, and the lovely paper used. Over the years, I patiently waited for the most appropriate klt:project to utilize this gorgeous way of printing. When I decided to have prints made from my thread drawings, it seemed like the match that I had been waiting for. When my drawing is done in thread, the image is raised- when made into a letterpress print, the image is impressed in the paper. I love that they are both tactile in different ways. Today I am happy to introduce to you, 5 more klt:letterpress prints (owl bride & groom, german pointer, sandpiper, & squirrel). I used a different paper this time around that I just fell in love with- 100% cotton, white pearl - Crane Lettra  paper... & oh it is yummy!



But there is another reason that I'm thrilled to have letterpress prints made from my thread drawings- I get to work with the wonderfully talented, creative & witty,  Amy E. Redmond- the smile behind my prints. Amy and I met years ago when I was working at the Museum of Northwest Art. I was so excited to reconnect with her on this project (she also prints all of my hangtags & business cards). Amy prints from her home studio on her 1903 Colts Armory Press. Amy purchased this press from her dear pals at Stern & Faye, Printers and it's her favorite of the 3 presses that she has owned (above picture taken in the Fall '08- the first time she printed on it). You've probably seen and enjoyed Amy's work and not even known it was hers. She does all of the letterpress printing for Kata Golda and has a press in her Port Townsend (WA) studio that she uses as well. Here is a little 30 second video of Amy printing. 


I know I am starting to sound like a broken record, but really, I love what I do! Collaboration is what makes klt:works extra special. When I can meet and work with true & honest artists that are working with their hands, from the heart, I couldn't be more lucky. It just makes my day all that more interesting.  For that reason, I plan on working with Amy for as long as I can keep the ideas coming and she wants to take them on. So, be prepared to see many more klt:letterpress projects in the future. And as if you weren't already sold on how cool the letterpress process is, just press play... 


{images & video of Amy: property of Amy E. Redmond}

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love letterpress and I envy you have such a great chance to work on such a beautiful project~
    You have a beautiful blog~ Glad I found you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed the post. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails