Wednesday, July 7, 2010

{Vintage Inspiration} 25 cent fun...


I live near a really sweet, channel town called La Conner. I am very familiar with this town. My parents have kept their boat there since I was in elementary school. I can remember going to a odd little penny arcade with my brother after being out on the boat for our two week vacation. We would walk down the street with coins stuffed in our pockets, life jackets still on, anticipating the games we would play (while my parents packed up the boat). The arcade had a circus like feeling to it. There was even a fortune teller in a glass box that asked you for a nickel and told you about your life. Kitty corner from the arcade was a building with a large antique store- and it is still there today. In front are two very old coin operated rides- an elephant & horse and they give me that  same vintage, circus feeling. 



After grad school, I moved to La Conner and lived in an old apartment on top of a shop, overlooking the channel. I worked at the Museum of Northwest Art on the main street a while ago, and Chris and I got married at an old mansion on the hill, that houses a quilt museum. My parents now live in La Conner and Chris works across the fence from their house. So you can say, that I have walked by various vintage coin operated rides at this antique store over the years. I frequently touched them, sometimes sat on them, and have always wanted to photograph them or capture their coolness somehow. I recently saw a post at Modern Kiddo about vintage coin operated rides and it sparked my interest all over again. 


We celebrated the 4th of July in La Conner last weekend and I finally got my opportunity to take some snapshots of these fine vintage treasures in all of their glory. There are so many inspiring elements to these objects and the story that they visually tell. But coupled with where they live, they evoke all sorts of feelings of nostalgia. 


By waiting until now to document these awesome rides, I was able to capture a whole different kind of inspiration. How cool to watch Sayer discover the joy a quarter can bring!

7 comments:

  1. Awwww YAY! This is so great!! What amazing photos....xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. soooo fun! there is this one thrift that has a car and an elephant out front and pip loves to go with me because she knows afterward we get to go on the rides!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it well. I love La Conner! What sweet pics. We were there recently for a little getaway too.

    http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=171697607747

    Can you see this? You might have to fan Mastin Studio :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely place! And great photos, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These images are incredible Kristin! I love them so much. These are definitely frame-worthy shots. And Sayer, boy oh boy! He is super hug-worthy too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are mastering that camera. You'll be giving Chris a run for his money. La Conner is a fun little town, you captured that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so sweet! My husband and I spent the first few days of our honeymoon in La Conner, it's an absolute favorite city of mine. We have yet to take our kids there, your pictures make me even more excited to! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails