Friday, November 26, 2010

{Fabric Friday} Vintage Marimekko...


It's no secret that I have a major fondness for Marimekko textiles. I've written about it many times. Well, about a week ago I bought a bunch of vintage Marimekko fabric via this Etsy Shop that made me giddy with excitement. I carried this stack around with me for days, sort of fearful to cut into it. After all, I bought it to use. But then had second thoughts when I saw how beautiful it was. My husband reminded me that fabric is fabric & it's meant to be used and transformed. If you are a KLT FB "liker" you have already seen this top stack of Marimekko goodness. Actually- the piece of fabric in the middle isn't Marimekko- it's a gorgeous Finnish, vintage textile that I liked too.  But the rest of these pictures will be new for you.


So I did it - I cut into the fabric this week!  My slugs just called out to these fabrics (or vice versa) - it was what I originally had in my mind to make when I saw first saw the vibrant textiles. I love playing with the bold shapes, patterns, & colors for the slug bellies. There will never be 2 exactly that same- which I really enjoy. These little guys are truly special & the colors are so darn happy! 


These vintage Marimekko slugs will be slowly inching their way into the KLT Etsy Shop throughout the next few days. Don't worry you die hard fabric collectors, I won't use all of the fabric, I have saved a bit for safe keeping. This is just the tip of the iceberg of what I will make from this gorgeous stack. Oh, and don't forget that klt:friends get a nice discount code to use for weekend. Happy Fabric Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! The slugs look great! From the bottom, they kind of look like funky ice cream cones. : ) I can just see you walking around with that stack in your hands.. So funny because I've been thinking of Marimekko fabric as dining room curtains.. I wouldn't be surprised if owners of your slugs would decorate and design around them. They're so cool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin! Our Marimekko slugs arrived today and we love them! They are so vibrant and I swear the vintage fabric somehow gives them an entirely different personality. Lots of good feedback today - thanks for cutting into that fabric and shipping them so quickly!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails