Monday, June 6, 2011

{Real Life} Boats, Trees, & Saltwater...


My dad loves boats. From the time I was about 7 (I think) our family had a boat. Our summer/spring weekends & family vacations consisted largely of boating- namely in the San Juan Islands but for our summer vacations, we would sometimes take the boat into Canadian waters - which I was always fond of because I could get candy & gum with French wrappers which made me feel very worldly. Over the years my brother & I began to favor certain islands for various reasons. My favorite was & still is Sucia Island. It has lots of trails full of what I call "peeley trees", beaches, & my favorite part... sand caves. 


The rock is a soft sandstone that has the coolest texture & there are many little hidden areas that look like a cave or a fort to a child. My parents still have a boat (much bigger now) & my brother & I still go out with them & our little families. This Sunday, we took a day trip with my parents to Sucia Island with Chris' dad (who has been visiting). It was also Sayer's first visit & I was excited to show him my favorite spots. It's been a long time since I had visited but it really did seem like yesterday. I almost half expected to see my name carved on one of the cave walls or the picnic table or something...  


It was just a quick little day trip, but it we made the most of it. Sayer seemed to enjoy himself. I loved watching him romp & explore. It was also nice to unplug & relax just a bit. I sometimes forget to do that. The more things change, the more they stay the same... 



2 comments:

  1. This looks a beautiful place to go off and explore. My husband dreams of buying a boat and is taking lessons at the moment, one day perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, just the most amazing photos ever! I love them all but my fave is the top one with Sayer and his dad. What a magical place Kristin, I'm so jealous! I'd love to go on a boat ride and hang out here.. I think this is the perfect day and trip! Now I definitely want to visit you guys there!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails