Tuesday, January 4, 2011

{Everyday Inspiration} Papercraft ...


Being that Chris loves to work with paper, books, & cardboard lately, I gave him a book called, "Papercraft: Design and Art with Paper" for Christmas this year. It truly was a gift for him- I saw the look on his face when he saw this book in person & knew I had to get it for him. With that being said- I LOVE this book! I've been patient and made a point to not jump on it the minute he opened it up. However, I couldn't  wait anymore. I cracked the book open last night and barely scratched the surface. HOLY MOLY this book is just oooooozing with inspiration & amazing work! It really does have a wonderful variety of papercraft art represented as well. I thought I would give you a peak of some of the artists featured. Seriously, there is sooooo much more & I could go on for hours. But here is a start....








I'm sure I'll be posting about new discoveries as I plow through this book. It's about 250 pages with a dvd included! Oh joy... this will be a nice little break I think. I have to say, the piece called "Invisible Cities" by Helen Friel, was something that made me think a lot about this blog. 

"She created the work based on a place described by Italo Calvino in his book 'Invisible Cities'.  Each time a new relationship is made, the inhabitants run colored string between buildings."-  Papercraft.

I love that concept and think it would be fun to imagine or realize color strings representing all of the relationships this blog has brought me. Just a thought for now. But it would be interesting to start a project like that  being that it's the beginning of 2011. So if you are reading this blog. Let your voice be heard- you may just become a piece of colored string... 



4 comments:

  1. What an amazing gift and book! I stopped at the image of Helen Friel too.. I'm also blown away by the artwork by Dettmer. W o w. That would be awesome to see, your project inspired by Friel! You would have a house overwhelmed by strings.. connections of ppl you've made over the course of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just the cover alone is amazing!!! wow the tiny cut out letters on the hand and the clothing of maps!!!!! i would love to sit and check out this book

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO! Isn't it gorgeous. What people do with paper ... giving old trees new life ...

    I just love how you inhale and devour creative books (just don't take to that one with a stanley knife!)

    I was looking at a spider's web this morning and the strands making up the web amazed me ... bit of a tangent, but somewhat analogous to strings linking people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @chantale- I know the Dettmer work is so amazing. I thought you would like this book. I think I will try some sort of project documenting the people I meet through this- homes + maps + strings or something (maybe a collaborative with hutch studio)... in my spare time. :)
    @Heather- It's a great way to unwind. Pretty inspiring...
    @Carmel- I can never get enough of books. They really inspire & get me all excited. Yes, inhale & devour is a good description. Spider webs are really amazing that way. I've photographed (just with my phone) a few - that I was really drawn to lately. I like the idea of a web being like strings to people. Wonderful visual!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails